We finally picked a garage door! After receiving several bids and talking to several companies, we ended up selecting the Therma Classic R006S 2-car steel door. My husband selected the garage door opener: a belt driven, side mount opener. Our friends have a similar opener and you can barely hear it - something that was really important to us, as the master bedroom is directly above the garage.
We did have a slight issue with the garage door. The opening was originally framed to 8', but we had a glulam beam on the garage ceiling that just happened to be encroaching on the vertical space. After much discussion with the builder and the garage door guy, we decided to have the framer decrease the opening to 7'.
From Northwest Door's website:
CONSTRUCTION: The Therma Classic is made from hot dipped galvanized wood grain textured steel skins that are embossed with raised panel designs then sandwiched with a polystyrene core. This type of construction forms a thermal barrier between front and back of door. 20 Ga. steel backer plates are toggle locked to the inside of the back skin prior to assembly. Exterior skins are secured to a polystyrene core with Urethane adhesive, a method of construction that is unparalleled in strength. Therma Classic doors are available in 2 design series. The S Series doors have multiple vertical panels embossed to form the various designs. The R Series doors start with 40" x 24" embossed recessed panels. Then roll formed pre painted wood grain textured aluminum design elements are mechanically attached as well as bonded to the face of the recessed panels to form a multitude of designs.
- Section Joint: Tongue and Groove joint between sections with thermal break
- Thickness: 2"
- R Value = 9 (Calculated door section R Value in accordance with DASMA-163)
- Finish: Baked on polyester enamel
- Colors selection: White
- Bottom weather seal: U-shape loop type vinyl with aluminum retainer
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
STANDARD HEIGHTS: 7'-0", 8'-0", 9'-0", 10'-0", 12'-0", 14'-0"
Sections available in 27", 28", 31" and 32" in height
- Widths up to 20' in one inch increments, heights up to 14'
- 1/8" clear annealed glass standard, clear obscure and insulated glass optional.
- Decorative hardware
- 25,000, 50,000 & 100,000 cycle torsion springs
- Low clearance, high lift and vertical lift track and hardware
|This door is very similar to the one we picked, with shaker style panels and 2x3 window grids to match the front door.|